Saturday, June 26, 2010

Komi's New Dream

Not many children growing up in Togo have big plans for the future. Some want to be a farmer like their parents. Some want to become a builder or a seamstress. But it is pretty rare that a Togolese child aspires to be a doctor.

Twelve-year-old Komi appreciates the medical care he received from Mercy Ships. "Because of the way that they took care of me here," he says, "I want to take care of others in that way. I am the lucky one. I want to be a doctor like them."

Komi had a large growth on his neck – a thyroid tumor that had been growing in size for five years. His mother, Maulowé, says, "When I first noticed it, I wondered what it was. I did everything in my power to stop it, but I had no money to go to the hospital."

Life was extremely difficult for Maulowé, a widow, as she did her best to take care of her four children. She cooked and sold food on the side of the road to provide shelter and clothing for her family.

One day Maulowé received a call from her brother who lived in Lomé. He told her about a hospital ship that was docked at the port, and he believed that they could help Komi. Maulowé was sick with malaria, so Komi's uncle took him to the patient screening. Komi was approved for surgery and given a date to return to the ship.

In the meantime, Maulowé recovered from malaria and was able to come with her son to the Africa Mercy for a brief, but life-changing, stay. Dr. Gary Parker performed the surgery to remove Komi's thyroid tumor.

Afterward, a beaming Maulowé sat next to her son. She had been forced to take Komi out of school because the other children were afraid of him. They thought the devil was inside him, and that is why he looked so different. Now her son could have a normal life. She said simply, "I am so grateful for the nurses and doctors at Mercy Ships. May God bless you all."

Komi informed his nurse that he is looking forward to going back to school. "I want to play soccer with my friends," he said. "They will no longer be scared of me."

With smiles on their faces, Maulowé and Komi walked hand-in-hand out of the port and into the city. Mercy Ships touched a life, giving a young boy a new dream for the future.

Story by Claire Bufe
Edited by Nancy Predaina

 
 

This message and any attachments may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure - Mercy Ships.

No comments:

Post a Comment