Monday, July 5, 2010

You prepare a table before me...

This morning as I was taking some exercise on the dock, I felt the Spirit of God speaking to me in my heart. The words from Psalm 23 came up before my attention: "You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies." I had been told by the Gurkha who guards our area that I could not go outside the gates of our section of the dock, as it was not safe to walk out there. It was quite early, around 4:45 a.m.

As I walked up and down in our enclosed area of the dock, the words from Psalm 23:5 whispered into my heart. And I could see the truth of it. Even now, as bandits and other violent people and rather large nasty rats rambled about the vicinity outside our immediate dock, I was completely safe. More than that, there was a ship full of afflicted and poor patients who had a feast of healing, kindly affection, good food, rest in real beds, worship music and all sorts of help right there in the middle of some very nasty enemies. God had indeed set an abundant table in the presence of enemies.

Many of our patients are brutally rejected in their villages because people fear their maladies. Thinking them under some sort of curse and demonic affliction, their neighbors and family drive them out of schools, the business place, homes. Yet God prepared for each a table of abundance, right in the presence of all that hatred and enmity.

As David wrote (one who knew of affliction and injustice), "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the quiet waters. He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake."

Thank You, Lord, for Your patience and kindliness to us, who so rarely give a thought to Your heart, yet cry out to You in hostility when we are uncomfortable or oppressed. How gracious You are! Thank You for this abundant table You have prepared here. Thank You for showing me anew how wonderfully You fulfill Your word!

No comments:

Post a Comment